CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Process of Moving

I wish I had some photos to share along with this post, but
moving = packing = who knows where my camera is?
So I will just give an update on our moving situation.
Friday we went and picked up our moving truck.
(a 16' Penske truck)
When Ryan pulled it into the driveway we both looked at it nearvously wondering if we could fit all of our belongings into this little truck.
We had filled out the questionairre online to determine what truck size you need
and it said 16'.
We had multiple friends come over and look at our house
and say "oh yeah, 16' should be plenty pf room."
So we finished getting things put together and at about 5:00 Ryan's buddies started showing up to help us pack.
He had 6 GREAT guys there, plus his one handed self, and his dad who was the "packing director".
They got all the furniture moved out of the house pretty quickly and everything I owned was sitting out in my driveway/garage.
Then everyone just stopped for a second and looked the truck was already more than half full and there was an indcredible amount of stuff left over.
YIKES!
We knew it would be about $1,500 to upgrade to the bigger truck.
(not to mention the Penske place was closed by this time)
So with the input of my mother-in-law we decided to have them unpack my couches,
and we would by new ones out in MI.
(hopefully it would be less $ then if we were to upgrade our truck).
So the boys unloaded my couches and continued to pack our truck.
I have never seen anything like it.
It was the ultimate game of tetris.
I was amazed at how smart these guys were.
Taking up every centimeter of air space
Honing thier tetris-ing skills.
(and yes, I did just use that as a verb)
They finally got the truck completely full.
But my garage and driveway were still covered in boxes, furniture, and storage tubs.
I was ready to cry, I could part with a few things, but not this much stuff.
So finally after about 2.5 hours of packing we sent all the AMAZING guys home while we figured everything out.
The next morning we called Penske and went in and upgraded our truck to the very largest truck (26').
We were so blessed that the guy who we had been working with so so wonderful and ended up upgrading our truck for FREE!!!
So all of these WONDERFUL guys showed up at the Penske place
(many of whom had been helping us the night before)
and moved all of our stuff from the 16' truck to the 26' truck.
Then a couple of the guys headed back to our place to continue packing.
They got quite a bit done but
After a couple hours we were down to Ryan, his dad, and one other guy.
A SERIOUS THANK YOU TO BRIAN!!!
Who, with the help of a one handed Ryan and his 67 year old Father
got the entire rest of our truck packed.
And it took them until 4:00pm
and YES we completely filled the 26' truck!
(I couldn't believe it)
And I still had to part with my patio furniture!
So our boys were originally planning on leaving at 7am
which became 12 .
which now was 4pm.
So the boys headed out on the road for a 2,000 mile road trip
after 2 straight days of
packing/unpacking/repacking a moving truck.
They got to SLC, UT by 11pm, and rested for the night.
Today they are headed from SLC to Nebraska.
Hopefully they can find a place to stay - I picture Nebraska as a rual farm state.
So far, so good.
We are so blessed to have been able to get the truck we needed for so cheap.
And even more blessed to have such wonderful friends who could come and help us to get packed . . . 2 DAYS IN A ROW!!!!
We love you and appreciate all that you do.
We will miss you dearly.

4 comments:

kate said...

Oh wow...
It's amazing how much STUFF one can acquire over the years of marriage. We had to part with many things. I'm still sad, but it's just stuff..

even funnier..

when we had planned to moved to OR, we thought we would just load up our two cars and be good to go {not renting a truck..} ya right.

Lyndy Butler said...

wow you guys are doin it!
Britta, I am so excited and sad and happy and jealous and lots of stuff for you guys. mostly happy. I will call you today or tomorrow but I just wanted to tell you I love you and you better call me about baby stuff and keep pictures posted of your darling hayden and new bubba. I will still check with my step mom about buddy passes and we'll figure out coming to see you baby next summer. oh gawl. it better go fast and you better move somewhere closer. k love ya miss ya and yay.

vickersfam said...

good luck to those driving! My bro & his wife just drove a 26' truck and two cars (one being towed) across the country to Maryland, where they moved last week. Sounds very similar to your move. We'll surely miss you around here. Thank goodness for blogging!

Chelsey said...

hey brit I just saw your blog on andrea's and wanted to check you out. super cute blog and feel free to check out ours.