CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Seven Songs of Christmas - Song 2

As a mother,
I love to sing with my babies before bed
to relax them and help them fall asleep.


My repertoire has mainly consisted of primary songs, but during the Christmas season
I find myself wanting to turn to some of my Christmas favorites,and most nights we start with
"Away in a Manger".

At first I was singing it because it was simple, and I knew all the words.
But as I sang this song each night I became more and more aware of the lyrics.

They are so beautiful.
And I felt like the song took on different meanings as I sang it to each of my babies.

-----------------------------------------


As I sang this song to Carter,
I saw the song through Mary's eyes.
The lyrics paint a beautiful picture of that first night.

To see our Lord as a small baby boy, I became very emotional looking into the sweet eyes of my new son.
The things that Mary must have pondered on as she gazed at her baby, were the very things that flowed through my mind.

Will I teach him how to teach,
that he can grow into a strong missionary?

Will I teach him the gospel
so that his knowledge will inspire him to
continue to learn and pray on the teachings?

Will I nurture and cultivate his testimony
so that he can become the spiritual man
that I know he can be?

Will I help him to understand the importance
and responsibility of the priesthood,
that he will respect and honor it?

Will I instill in him the morals and virtues
that he should live by?

Will I raise him to be kind
and respectful to women?
So that he can marry a strong woman
who will help him become the great man
he will become after he leaves my home?

Will I be able to help him
to reach his incredible potential?

I can't look into his eyes
without feeling the strength of his spirit.
He is such a special little boy,
and I can't wait to see what is in store for him.

-------------------------------------------


As I sang this song to Hayden
I felt peace in my heart
as I recognized the prayer
to our Savior that it contains.

"I love thee Lord Jesus,
look down from the sky,
and stay by my cradle,
'til morning is nigh.

Be near me Lord Jesus,
I ask thee to stay
close by me forever
and love me I pray.

Bless all the dear children
in they tender care
and fit us for Heaven
to live with thee there."

I felt so blessed to have the gospel in my life.
To know my Savior,
and to know that he watches over us always.
We are protected and never left alone.
We have no need to fear.
He will take care of us and our children,
if we just put our trust and faith in him
and his plan for us.

We are so blessed.


1 comments:

Lyndy Butler said...

Britta this is beautiful. Every word.