CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was very different for us this year.
I am a huge fan of Thanksgiving.
Not so much just the food.
(Though that is wonderful)
I just love the feel of it.
Whole families getting together.
Watching movies, football and playing games.
Watching all the little kiddos who haven't seen each other for months or longer reconnecting like they had never been apart.
And of course the reigning in of the Christmas season.

But this year we were 2,000+ miles away from our family, and though I didn't think much about it beforehand; when Thanksgiving day came and went without any family I felt a void in my heart.
I missed everyone more than I had thought that I would.
It's not just a holiday where you sit around and eat turkey and potatoes.
It's a day when we get to celebrate our family and friends and all the joy we have in our lives.

I DID get to spend the day at home with Ryan, Hayen and Carter.
I felt so much love in our tiny little house.
I am so blessed to have such a great little family.
Blessed that we can be sealed in the temple for all eternity.
Blessed to have a husband who is in tune with my needs and cares enough to fulfill them.
Blessed to have beautiful healthy children.
Blessed to have a strong and healthy body myself.

There are so many things that I am thankful for.
But rather than list all the obvious ones I wanted to take a step back this year and think about all the little things that I am thankful for specifically.

I am thankful for:

- Skype -
So that my little ones get to see their grandparents on a regular basis.

- Magic Jack -
So that I can call friends and family as often as I want and talk unlimited without having to worry about how much it is costing us.

- Naps -
Hayden and Carter nap at the same time right now, lets pray it lasts for a little while longer.

- DVR -
So I can focus on my family all day long, do all that I need to do, and on my own time, sit down and veg out.

- Ryan's dedication and study habits -
He works so hard all week so that on the weekends he is all ours.
He helps with the kiddos, runs errands and plays with us all day.

- Ryan's schooling and scholarship -
That after a long wait we are finally here, and without as much debt as we had anticipated.

- Hayden's acceptance of Carter -
I can't imagine being this tired and having to deal with her being jealous all day.

- Mom's -
That Ryan's mom could come and help us out when Carter was born.
She shopped for us, planned our menus, cooked for us, played with Hayden so I could nap and take care of Carter, she got Hayden up in the mornings (quietly) and fed her breakfast so I could sleep in. I don't know how we could have done it without her.

That my mom can come out this week.
I can't wait to introduce her to our new little one, and I can't wait to see Hayden light up when she see's her Nana Jan again after so long.

- New friends -
That make us forget (at least momentarily) that our family is so far away.
That make us feel at home in this new place.
That I know would help us out with whatever we needed.

- Cyber Monday -
I am normally a "Black Friday" nut, researching sales and planning out my day very strategically.
But this year we were stuck inside, so I was grateful for great deals right from my computer.

- Blogging/Facebook -
I know this is lame, but it really helps me stay connected with friends that I may have otherwise lost touch with.
I love that I get to stay updated with their families, and keep them updated with ours.

- Bumbleride -
That has made the few trips out with Hayden AND the baby (just doctor appts.) not only possible but easy.

- Music and Dancing -
That keeps Hayden and I energized, active, and smiling while we are stuck inside the house.

- Showers -
Only a mom can be truly grateful for this.
I am not usually a "shower everyday" kind of person, (please don't judge) a few a week is all I usually get, but there is nothing like having a baby that makes you just want to wash off and be clean constantly. I wish I could take multiple showers a day, but for now, I am grateful for what I get.

There are so many wonderful things that I am thankful for each day.
I know that these are just a few, but at the moment that I am typing this up they are the ones that I am most thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here are a few pics of us, on our Thanksgiving Day.

Hayden watching Frosty for the 1st time.

Carter sleeping through Frosty.


Hayden LOVES to hold her new baby brother.
So she was so excited when we let her hold him for this little photo session.

Dinner Time

3 comments:

Amanda Flaum said...

Aw Brittany you are too cute. I love all the things that you are thankful for. We definitely miss you over here, but I am so happy for you guys that you are doing wonderful out there. The babies are too cute. I am also thankful for a lot of those things you said especially your blogging cause I love seeing your new posts and seeing what you guys are up to. It keeps me connected.

Sarah C said...

Hayden and Carter are so cute. I am sorry you were not able to go home for Thanksgiving. I am glad you still had a good day. You sweet little family is wonderful?

Lyndy Butler said...

Frosty is the best.
Max makes me sing him the song at nap time. The thumpety thump thumps calm him. Love you guys. Im so glad your Thanksgiving was great!