About 5 years ago,
I got very interested in FOOD and nutrition.
I started researching all the
chemicals, additives, preservatives ect.
Finding out
What they REALLY were.
What was REALLY bad and
What was okay.
Learning
What my body needs and
What the best way to get it was.
And ever since learning those things
I read every label.
and I mean EVERY label!
NOT the nutritional facts
(I think they can be deceiving).
but the INGREDIENTS.
I chose to only buy things with natural ingredients.
NOT necessarily organic, but
NATURAL . . .
REAL FOOD . . .
Food that my Grandmother,
and great Grandmother would recognize.
(a perfect rule of thumb)
I started baking from scratch,
avoiding boxed brownies, cookies,
cakes, pancakes, muffins ect.
and all the EXTRA stuff they comes with them.
I remember being at the grocery store
watching MOTHERS
buy and feed their kids
Goldfish,
sugary fruit snacks,
juice/punch
sugar cereal
ect.
I watched these women
yelling at their kids
"settle down"
"be quiet"
I just wanted to tell them
"Lady, do you know what is in this stuff?"
"Sugar, sugar and preservatives that our bodies turn into sugar"
"STOP GIVING IT TO YOUR KIDS"
"THEY don't know better, but YOU should!"
It made me cringe to see the choices
that UNEDUCATED people
where making for themselves
and their children.
I wouldn't say I was an extremist.
Not even close.
I would eat out
(every once in a while)
and order regular/fatty/delicious items of the menu.
And anyone who knows me
KNOWS I gotta have my Coke
(but only every once in a while)
and regretfully I REALLY prefer
regular/full sugar COKE.
Mmmmmm.
But I felt like those few exceptions
were allowed
BECAUSE I was eating
(and drinking)
so well the rest of the time
I LOVED eating this way!
I lost weight.
I had tons of energy.
and I worked through my infertility
strictly through diet and
got pregnant.
I continued these eating habits
though my pregnancy
and after Hayden was born.
I made all her baby food,
She was happy,
I was happy,
life was good.
Then when Hayden was 6 Months old
Something changed.
I got pregnant again.
This was a GOOD thing!
A REALLY GOOD thing!
but different than it had been
with my previous pregnancy.
I CRAVED, bad stuff.
REALLY BAD stuff.
Kraft Mac and Cheese
(almost everyday)
Totinos Frozen pizzas
and Coke, Coke, and more Coke
(it was the only thing to ease my nausea)
The list goes on and on.
As I started slipping off wagon,
So did Hayden.
I started getting LAZY
making her quick CONVENIENCE lunches.
and CONVENIENCE snacks.
I never STOOPED to the level
of Goldfish or
sugar cereal,
but none the less,
POOR, POOR choices.
This continued through my pregnancy
and up until NOW.
I am so disgusted looking at my pantry
and the choices that I have made
for my family
my babies
myself.
and I AM EDUCATED!
I DO know this stuff,
I have NO excuse.
So TODAY is the day I go back.
Back to GOOD foods.
Back to HEALTHY foods.
Back to REAL foods.
Back to SCRATCH cooking.
NO MORE BOXES!!!
NO MORE Mac and Cheese!
NO MORE garbage, junk food.
I am at home ALL day, EVERY day.
and my JOB is to take care of my FAMILY.
take care of them
spiritually,
mentally,
and PHYSICALLY.
So I am getting back up off my LAZY butt
and going to DO MY JOB!!!
It is WRITTEN, and now shall be DONE.





6 comments:
you've inspired me to be better- When Mara was a baby I ate so well and took such good care of us and two kids later- I too have become lazy and unhealthy- Time to change!
So in reading this eating my hersheys kisses and thinking you are amazing. Being good is hard. Especially when you have kids and time is hard to come by. So now that you've sparked my interest. Share some knowledge. I'm requesting a post :) what snacks do you feed your kids and why not give them jars of baby food? What are some of your favorite healthy recipies? I'm feeling inspired!
That is awesome! I have been trying to make our diet healthier as well, but I have a LONG way to go, we still eat way too much junk.
Way to be!! :)
I give you major props for your healthy eating skills!! I am SO not anywhere near that level but would like to be. Don't beat yourself up though, we all fall off the bandwagon sometimes...
Good for you. I too enjoy Coke, but it's not every once in a while. I have to have a Coke almost every day. I think of it as my treat for watching what I eat. It's quite a nasty little habit I've developed. I'm glad you are trying to be better. We all should.
im with veronica. we need a post on what snacks you feed your kids. im all about the animal crackers and gold fish. I mean ive watched food inc and know all about it but it just seems like a inconvinience. no processed food, thats hard.
Post a Comment